National Honor Society
The National Honor Society recognizes students for scholarship, character, leadership, and service. To quality for the Aquinas Chapter at Northwest Catholic, students must have a 3.50 grade-point average after at least nine marking periods; strength of character; leadership and service in school, church and/or civic activities. Some examples are as follows:
Leadership – The student who exercises leadership:
* promotes school activities
* exemplifies positive attitudes
* successfully holds positions of responsibility in school office
Service – The student who cares:
* participates in some outside activity – Red Cross, CCD teacher, etc
* cheerfully and enthusiastically renders any requested service to the school
*is willing to represent the class or school in inter-class and inter-scholastic competition.
Character – The student of character:
* takes criticism willingly and accepts recommendations graciously
* upholds principles of morality and ethics
* demonstrates the highest standards of honesty and reliability
* manifests truthfulness in acknowledging obedience to rules, avoiding cheating in written work, and showing unwillingness to profit from the mistakes of others.
Juniors and seniors will be considered in the fall after the first marking period. A committee of five faculty members makes the final selection of inductees.
A student who qualifies scholastically but is deficient in other areas will be notified by the National Honor Society advisor, who will suggest possible areas of improvement. Students who are not accepted for membership may request a hearing before the National Honor Society advisor.
If a member's GPA falls below 3.0, a warning is issued, and the student is given one semester to meet the necessary scholastic requirement before dismissal procedures are initiated. Dismissal for other reasons will occur only in extreme cases, and the Faculty Committee will carry out procedures of due process as outlined in the National Honor Society Handbook. Serious violation of school rules may result in additional requirements to maintain a student's NHS membership. Advisor: Mrs. Terri Turley