Head of Maintenance (Full Time Position)
The Head of Maintenance is a full-time, 12 month position that reports to the Director of Facilities. He/she will have the ability to handle the maintenance of facilities and equipment, both on the interior and the exterior of the building, in addition to overseeing/managing the daytime and evening janitorial staff and all contractors. The Head of Maintenance works closely with the professional staff of Directors and Deans to maintain a well-cared for, safe, and clean school environment for daily functions and numerous evening and special events. This position requires strong managerial and logistical leadership ability and experience in facilities management or its professional equivalent.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
1. To handle maintenance of facilities and equipment – including preventive maintenance and urgent repair needs
2. Oversee all external groundskeeping and parking lot maintenance needs
3. Provides counsel to administrative team regarding facility issues
4. Has on-call responsibility to respond to off-hours facility emergencies
Head of Maintenance Other Responsibilities:
* Responds to emergency requests for facility and equipment repairs
* Assists in building security – arrives at 6:30am to open the building and the hallways; ensures all entrances are locked at 8am
* Maintains boiler and all routine maintenance of heating/cooling systems
* Maintains files on all building plans and blueprints
* Organizes, maintains, and stores tools and equipment
* Assists in completing facility projects, and assists with painting and general remodeling
* Maintains and orders supplies needed for repairs and renovations and janitorial work
* Tracks facility repair and utility costs; evaluates and submits cost reduction ideas to Director of Operations & Director of Finance
* Oversees contractor repairs as needed and within annual capital repair budget
* Inspects and repairs restrooms as needed
* Changes locker combinations school-wide annually and maintains locker hardware
* Performs mandatory safety tests; confirms necessary safety inspections by outside contractors are completed as required and maintains proper records
* Performs basic kitchen maintenance (e.g. exhaust hoods, fans, belts, and grease motors)
* Develops and implements computerized preventive maintenance schedules and system regulation for HVAC units
* Performs physical preventive maintenance on HVAC units – changing filters, belts, and grease bearings on a regular schedule and as needed
* Performs basic plumbing and electrical repairs – will notify Director of Operations if additional contractor work is necessary
* Changes light bulbs as needed
* Collaborates with fire inspectors to check back flow and fire extinguishers annually and as needed
* Maintains repair records and prepares related reports
* Maintains school vehicles in coordination with CT requirements for 14-passenger buses and in conjunction with third-party auto repair
* Oversees and assists daytime janitorial staff in regular and various janitorial duties as needed
* Makes sure carpets and tile floors are properly maintained
* Orders supplies and ensures that supply closets are stocked
* Manages cleaning equipment maintenance schedule
Adequate physical ability to navigate all areas of the physical plant and perform duties that require operating machinery, technology, and mechanical systems.
This is a full-time, twelve month, administrative position. The ability to be available for some evening events and weekend supervision is required. An ability to perform the rigorous physical duties of serving on an emergency crisis team is also required.
To apply, submit a current resume and letter of interest to the attention of:
Mr. Christian J. Cashman, Head of School Northwest Catholic High School 29 Wampanoag Drive West Hartford, CT 06117 firstname.lastname@example.org
Northwest Catholic High School is a coeducational, diverse, college preparatory school established and maintained in the Catholic educational tradition. It aims to foster a life-orienting faith, at the same pursuing academic excellence, commitment to principles of peace and justice, and service to community on all levels, within a context of awareness of the global dimension of modern life. The school offers an exceptional academic curriculum with numerous AP Courses and a 1-1 iPad program, extremely competitive athletic teams, and a variety of opportunities in the arts and outside activities. Northwest Catholic provides opportunities for all students to learn and grow in a remarkable educational setting, grounded in Catholic faith and moral values. The diverse student body, expert faculty and staff, and forward-looking philosophies make it the ideal place for tomorrow’s leaders to prepare for success in our evolving global society.
In lumine tuo videbimus lumen ● In Your light we shall see light.